Success, of sorts.

25 02 2015

A brief break in the rain today meant I got out on the trails for the first time in days. All good. Conditions were sloppy and muddy, so the aim for today was not to get a big long ride in, but to get a fire going somewhere in the woods and warm my fingers and toes while I ate a sandwich. You see, I’ve been inspired by a couple instragram streams of morning coffee, or wednesday whiskey, enjoyed somewhere out and about, by bike.

So, this was my version.

It is fair to say I have enjoyed little success utilising found tinder and kindling to get a fire going when it has been wet for a prolonged time. Of course, this is the most useful time to be able to get the flames to rise.

Today, the initial flames came easily, but I could not get the bugger to catch properly. Everything to hand was wet and I could not create a hot enough core to the blaze to dry the twigs etc fast enough. Even the silver birch bark I could find or gather was waterlogged and struggled to take.

After 2 hours (I am nothing if not pertinacious), with blood dripping from my finger and blisters forming on my palm, I finally got a fire going with enough gusto to call it a win.

And no, Mike n’ Ikes don’t burn well.

Brutal. But, I feel I am continuing along a path – King Louie isn’t the only one with a desire for Man’s red fire.

The other issue that has had my attention is removing the stainless bearing spacer from an xtr trail pedal that broke. A batch of shimano pedals had axles that snapped, freeing the retaining nut form the end of the axle and causing the body to fall off. This is the second such pedal I have had. It is a good thing that there is a replacement axle kit that just screws in. Unfortunately, in this case, the stainless spacer is caught inside the pedal body.

Suggestions of how to remove have been many – Ez Out, big hammer, blind bearing puller, small expanding reamer, bigger hammer and, of course, a dremel. The simplest may be to drill a hole in the pedal body and drift the stainless tube out, then seal it either by tapping and inserting a small bolt, or just using epoxy. We will see. It does make me wish I had a more ‘complete’ workshop.

Advertisements

Actions

Information

2 responses

26 02 2015
sannyatsingletrackworld

How about using a thin hacksaw blade to cut a couple of grooves in the spacer then jamming in a wide screwdriver to pull it out? Alternatively, I would consider drilling it out with a wide masonry bit . Give it a quick spin to jam in the bit then hopefully pull out the spacer? The other option would be to drill down the inside of one side to the spacer, prise with a screwdriver then try and use needle nose pliers to pull it out. All are risky but at the moment, you have a pedal that doesn’t work so may be worth taking a chance.

27 02 2015
velopest

see flickr – i got it out, but the pedal is dead…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: